« Home | Broken Household Appliance National Forest » | My Birthday Presents »

that last PBR did it





I don't hang over so much lately, because A) I've slowly learned it doesn't feel very spectacular and B) I've become a serious lightweight. I pretty much stick to one or two drinks of an evening, maybe three if Armagnac is involved.

But when you do wake up hungover, the pressure is immediately on. You must quickly choose the right cure, or your day is going to suck and/or be an epic waste. The hell with Hunter S., there's nothing hip or romantic about feeling like the living incarnation of ass -- kind of like I did today after a night at the roller derby.

So. Hangover remedies. I don't actually have one, because I didn't start hanging over with any ferocity until my 30's. Damn you, metabolism! I need help, I need a ritual, I need something.

Awaken hungover. There are several directions here, but success or failure all hang on that very first call you make and there is no going back my friend. What kind of hangover do you have? Should you roll over and sleep until it starts to get dark again? But sometimes you feel so sick you can't sleep. Do you get up and heave yourself into a bracing/comforting cold/hot shower? Perhaps you best demolish the nearest chorizo burrito, or greasy diner breakfast? Maybe you ought to start popping the pills* -- I'm fond of the antacids/ibuprofen/mineral water cocktail myself. Nothing really helped me today until the McDonald's fries, and a road trip with me at the wheel. Driving and singing Fountains of Wayne (who sport their fair share of drinking songs) gave me something other than my misery to concentrate on.

My college roommate swore by Real Chili for hangovers, and I can concur. The Marquette Special -- spaghetti topped with chili with beans, cheddar cheese, raw onions, sour cream, and oyster crackers -- was consumed by yours truly on a semi-regular basis including the night of my 21st (thank you Chuck and Lance). But usually I'd hit Real Chili right after closing time, not so much the next day. Usually you can eat enough of it when you swerve in there at 2 a.m. to make yourself pre-emptively sick *before* you rack out, unquestionably the best way to avoid hangovers altogether, short of the unreasonable option of not drinking too much.

The roller derby was pretty cool, but not nearly as aggressive as I hoped for. They're recruiting members. I just got some sweet new health insurance, so I'm looking into it.

* Note for whoever missed this piece of alcholic wisdom: Never take acetaminophen (Tylenol) for a hangover or while drinking. It's horrendously hard on your liver and can be dangerous in a pretty short time.

I go by Shrader Place hangover cure...Gatorade, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

That's right! Totally forgot the electrolyte approach. Annie always had the powdered Gatorade on hand in the cupboard and it was soothing indeed. That and Emergen-C

Post a Comment