« Home | deshabille » | in honor of spring break » | this is not a food blog part II » | y'know what's a weird word? » | this is what it looks like when » | Another Website I Wish I'd Thought Of » | animalcules » | Roller Derby Bulletin II » | attn. germophobes » | april 15 looms »

modern art makes me rock out

Saw Art Brut last night. The opening band -- Gil Mantera's Party Dream - was friggin' captivating. As we walked up I heard the typical pretentious SF artster (wearing Adam Ant piped military jacket & cravat) say "That is the WORST band ever!" so I knew we were in for something good.

The Party Dream, we decided, was like the Butthole Surfers and Skynyrd got together and decided what they really wanted to be was Yaz. There was spandex. A vocorder. Intense fraternal rivalry. And lots of partial nudity. And as whacked out as their staging was, the songs were solid and he has a kind of awesome throw-back-your-head-and-bring-it voice. Check it out their stuff here. Although I have to say that performing Fleetwood Mac entirely in vocorder while wearing only snuggy briefs is a truly inspired cover. It was midwestern hard-partying artistic id spilling all over the stage and I will definitely be seeing Gil Mantera's Party Dream again.

Art Brut was good too. I don't mean to damn them with faint praise --- they do one thing -- which I adore -- and they do it really well. Clever lyrics will always get me. I loved the singer's imploring everyone in the crowd to form their own band. Every other band says that these days, but I see on the Art Brut website that they mean it.

I think Hard-Fi ruined me for live shows for all 2006. Fuck. When are they back?