« Home | be my guest » | What happens when you send everyone to your blog i... » | hypochondrimania » | sloth and idleness » | Stalker Food » | knit one purl too » | It's on. » | girl on film » | Listen closely. » | Rolling Thunder. Or maybe Rolling Precipitation Li... »

open letter to the mental midget who owned my microbiology text before me

You had every right to mark in your textbook. I got it used, and can only expect to find it marked up. But I didn't expect a microbiology student, an upper division, majors-only course, to be such a dolt.

Your highlighting is idiotic. You highlight subtitles. Subtitles! Is that to remind you to go back and read the whole section later? Better buckle down now, my friend! There's only one micro teacher at this college, so we have the same guy. You highlight only lecture material, completely defeating the purpose of the textbook, which is *supplementing" the lecture. Third, you need a bit of a brush-up. If you don't know "peroxidase," "culture medium," and I shudder to even write it, "sterile" by now, you're in a wee bit over your head.

I gain a modicum of affection for you when I note your margin scribbles. Like the section on flagella, where you wrote "like sperm!" next to the subtitle. It's sweet that you're trying to relate the material to your own life.

In any case, person who had my textbook before me, thanks for being you. It's people like you taking up the spots in the C and D range, so the rest of us can rise a little higher.

Oh. Sorry. I see you quit highlighting completely after chapter 5. Right around the time of Test 1. Don't sweat it, kiddo. The world needs sociology majors, too.