« Home | Listen closely. » | Rolling Thunder. Or maybe Rolling Precipitation Li... » | the fatherland » | Just look at how beautiful Harper Lee is. » | the best French word ever » | that last PBR did it » | Broken Household Appliance National Forest » | My Birthday Presents »

girl on film

Watched The Island last night. Why didn't it do better in the theaters? I found it to be perfectly solid summer blockbuster entertainment -- the Times said "glossy, witty eye candy with some moderately chewy stuff in the middle." The chewy stuff is probably why it didn't do better in the theaters. That, and maybe the euthanasia scene.

Worth a rent, for sure. Watch Logan's Run first though. The Island owes it a lot. As do we all.

While I'm at it, check out The Castle. Muriel's Wedding/Strictly Ballroom/Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. It's warm-hearted and offbeat and silly, but what I liked was its genuine respect and affection for the working class. I can only think of Fargo as a comparison in an American movie, but that's not quite right. Thoughts?

While I'm at Australian movies, there's also Love Serenade with Miranda Otto, who appears to be enjoying my acting career.

Done being Jan Wahl (quelle horreur!) for the day, I'm off to do some microbiology and some knitting. Separate activities, I assure you.