« Home | transition » | arse over teakettle » | Your final may not go smoothly when: » | finals week - again. » | ghost in the machine » | chemistry days, healthcare nights » | I'm in UR internets, learning UR lingo » | worterbuch » | wake & bake » | So I got that going for me »

ladyohda ladyodah lay hee wha?

If you're going to be a pop star, be Gwen Stefani. Have a solid starter career in "ska" band. Acquire cute grunge-pop British husband who plays professional-level tennis. Wear show-stopping pink Galliano gown to marry said husband. Have adorable baby, and seem genuinely thrilled about it. Carefully and gradually mold your image changes so that they're believable and buyable. Launch a clothing line that reflects your image, but don't sell too very hard. Be multi-culti and interesting. Along with being kinda punky, kinda cholo, kinda retro-kooky, be, y'know, classy.

Think about the things Gwen *hasn't* done:

1. Although securing British husband, hasn't acquired hokey British accent, nor fondness for America-bashing.

2. When husband has 18-yr-old lovechild scandal erupt, keeps media hoo-hah to a minimum by simply not speaking publicly about it. Gee. What a concept.

3. Attempt acting career, and be dignified when most of first role ends up on cutting room floor.

and perhaps most importantly:

4. No ladyparts in public.

Above all, make reasonably ambitious pop music and put on a great live show. This is where I'm troubled.

I haven't heard the whole of "The Sweet Escape" yet. Mostly because the first track, which I saw on SNL this week, was really quite awful. Sampling "The Lonely Goatherd"? Creative, I'll give you that. But her performance was just plain stilted as was her Gucciesque jumpsuit. I didn't stay tuned for her second number.

Other than her outfit, I like her new look, especially her hair, and the styling of her backup dancers.

I've been with you for awhile, Gwen. Long enough to hang on a bit longer. But where you goin with this?