« Home | resolved: » | JT on SNL » | ladyohda ladyodah lay hee wha? » | transition » | arse over teakettle » | Your final may not go smoothly when: » | finals week - again. » | ghost in the machine » | chemistry days, healthcare nights » | I'm in UR internets, learning UR lingo »

Now that my niece is old enough to talk back, I'm much more interested in being Auntie Em. Today we went ice skating, fed the ducks, shopped for jeans, did our hair, and ate pasta and ice cream. Next up: Owl and the Pussycat for bedtime. That kid is wiped.

Let me tell you something about Auntie Em -- she will play, pretend, read, hang out, and put on Barbie shoes with you til the cows come home. But at the dinner table and bedtime, she stands no nonsense. Rational backtalk is one thing. Six trips out of bed for

1)another drink of water
2)turn the mini Christmas tree on
3)potty
4)turn the mini Christmas tree off
5)reconfigure angle of door
6)hide from the urchins (I swear to God she came up with this)

is quite another. Grandmas may fall for that, but Aunties do not.

I thought the sign at the ice rink concessions offering "Pop in 3 sizes" was an interesting linguistic quirk worth blogging about, but I couldn't possibly top these people.