« Home | The 80's are officially back » | i am now Wonder Showzen damaged » | more science fun » | allergies/IBS/asthma and hookworms » | literary history for the day » | like everyone else, weather-related ennui » | they don't come any tougher » | 6 degrees » | i will sell this house today. i will sell this hou... » | all you ever do is bring me down »

upward failure

I'm currently and blessedly spared them, but this article in Salon made me shiver: My co-worker is driving me insane! So been there. I suppose we all have.

I don't want to talk about work here in general, much less name names, or do any of that other dumb shit that eventually may prevent you from getting hired, so I won't. But I will say this to Cary Tennis' advice: it's great up to the point of suggesting that the complainer bond with other employees over the issue of a bad coworker. I've been on the inside of these little corporate cliques and they always default to the incompetent -- because the incompetent knows they're lucky to have a job at all, and so they don't make waves.

All those trips to management and human resources that the complainer describes - man, that behavior eats up a lot more corporate resources than one lazy incompetent drone. Firing someone takes even more resources -- expecting that to happen is like expecting that I'll convert to Scientology.

It doesn't matter if you do better work or put in more time than the lazy dumbshit, because corporations are not about rewarding excellence. Corporations are about headcount, they're about job creation, they're about supporting the economy. So if long-term employment is your goal, the best strategy is to do your work, follow the rules, be nice, and don't complain.

If management is your goal, it seems to me that mere affability with a good dose of diplomacy is all that's required. Oh, and attractiveness.

I'm glad I'm out of corporate life. Organized healthcare is gonna be SO much better!