« Home | finals week - the silence descends » | Prince on a Rascal. » | confession time » | 5:30 a.m. » | wherefore Morpheus? » | Tonight you sleep with the fishes. » | your Lacanian thought of the day » | i'm hungry » | lovechild » | Sedona aftershock: astrology »

The $800 dog walk






I decide to take a study break, and run Maisie out for a gambol at Alston Park, it's her favorite. Check out the photos - easy to see why - puppy wonderland!

After chasing her ball into some weeds, she starts sneezing like crazy. I check her out, don't see anything. Happens again a few minutes later. We stop at the water spigot so I can really check her out and she's winking at me. I roll back her eyelid and pluck out a 2 inch long foxtail.

Those fucking things! Ivan used to get them buried in his fur, usually on his belly. After 2 exploratory surgeries to get them out, I swore never to have a double-coated dog again. Apparently, that doesn't help.

Anyway, I can see Maisie's cornea is scratched so off to the vet. I guess she wanted to make sure I'd read my exam flashcard on Erythromycin, because that's what we got, after the vet dyed her eye and checked it under black light. (He also gave me mad props for pulling the foxtail out myself - apparently people are usually too squeamish. How could you not?)

I figure what the hell, while I'm here, I'll get heartworm and flea stuff for both dogs. Buy a year's supply, they tell me, it's 10% cheaper. I left there with a grand total of $796.54.

Re. foxtails - the only thing to do is avoiding walking your dog where they grow. In California, that's basically everywhere, but if you can stick to "lawn grass" type parks and avoid scrubland, you're better off. Poor Maisie - she'll really miss Alston.