« Home | wherefore Morpheus? » | Tonight you sleep with the fishes. » | your Lacanian thought of the day » | i'm hungry » | lovechild » | Sedona aftershock: astrology » | how to irrevocably debase yourself in 10 easy lessons » | I know, I know. » | handy » | Sedona »

5:30 a.m.

Lula decides at the break of dawn that she needs to go out, urgently. Naturally, Maisie is up and around too at Lula's disturbance. I stumble to the front door with them, because if I let them out in back, they'll inevitably chase the squirrels away from the bird feeder and make a big ruckus. Out front they just run out, do their bidness, and come back in. I open the front door, and a second too late (I hadn't bothered to put on my glasses) I realize there's a small fuzzy form in the middle of the street. A cat. Both dogs take off at full speed and are gone, completely out of my sight, within about 3 seconds. I'm standing there in my underwear. I run back in, struggle into jeans, t-shirt, glasses, and flops, and take off down the street after them. By this time, Lula has wandered back and is blithely sniffing the grass for a place to pee. I go off after Maisie who's nowhere in sight. I find her 4 houses down under a window of a neighbor, growling at the cat, clinging to the side of the house. I can only hope it wasn't somebody's bedroom. I nab her and run back for the house before anybody can bust us.