« Home | 5:30 a.m. » | wherefore Morpheus? » | Tonight you sleep with the fishes. » | your Lacanian thought of the day » | i'm hungry » | lovechild » | Sedona aftershock: astrology » | how to irrevocably debase yourself in 10 easy lessons » | I know, I know. » | handy »

confession time


I'm secretly addicted to perfume. I have loads of it - so much that I've limited myself to 5 at a time. I'm usually about 5 over. Here are the big ones I've worn over the years:

Halston - I started here, at about 13 I think, stealing off mom's dressing table, immediately jumping into my love affair with chypre (that's mossy, woody scents.) I could never stand baby powder or (ugh) Love's Baby Soft. Next came:

Lauren - it's a floral, but has some chypre notes that always come up beautifully on me. Early highschool, I wore this.

Chanel #19 - it's fresh and green but sophisticated, and I wore it when I was 17, knowing I couldn't hope to pull off #5 yet. (I don't think Coco Mademoiselle existed at the time, or if it did, I didn't know about it.) My dad once brought me back a ridiculously huge bottle of it from duty-free, I think a liter's worth, and I used every drop. I should try this one again; it's been awhile.

Poison - this was the bad-girl 80's supermodel of perfumes - big big big. (Giorgio would be the good-girl 80's supermodel. I never wore it.) Dark and moody, with overripe fruit and deep wood notes that hang the fuck on. You love it or hate it. I loved it. Most males did too. I wore it all through college, past its "it girl" heyday status, but it always worked for me. And what do you know - it's in reissue now.

Todd Oldham - This scent will always evoke a great outfit worn on a steamy hot dancefloor with the distinct possibility of an upcoming sexual encounter in the bathroom for me. (If that sounds I'm calling up a specific memory, then you should have come out with me more in the 90s.) Oldham was peach with lots of amber and really hangs on. It's heavy and sexy and in your face and boy oh boy did it get me some action if you know what I mean and I think you do.

Tommy Girl - currently being praised as one of the greatest American scents of all time. It was mass marketed, but I was the only one I knew wearing it (although roommates would frequently borrow it). Camellia, apple, tangerine. One of the few great 90's scents that didn't feature vanilla (which I cannot stand as a top note.) I get comments from men and women alike when I wear Tommy Girl, which I still do.

Grain de Folie - I rounded out the last decade with this lovely pink & gold creation. It's lime, grapefruit, and mandarin that slips into pikaki. It has a prettiness and elegance but still retains that tropical passionate note. I'm still buying and wearing it.

I'll confess to the rest of what's on my dresser some other time. It gets funkier.