« Home | Roller Derby Bulletin » | Snow Patrol » | gaining no purchase » | my iPod thinks I'm an IV drug addict » | barn sour » | open letter to the mental midget who owned my micr... » | be my guest » | What happens when you send everyone to your blog i... » | hypochondrimania » | sloth and idleness »

Anatomy FunFact

Joaquin Phoenix has a microform cleft palate. It's a congenital condition (we don't say "defect" any more, you barbarians) wherein the fusion of the palatine processes of the maxillae is semi-incomplete. In other words, the 2 sides of the hard palate almost don't join up in utero. Tom Brokaw has the same thing. Is Tom Brokaw still alive? I thought 1980's news anchors were all dying off as of 2005.

The cleft palate is when the 2 sides rilly don't join up. It's not just cosmetic in these cases; cleft palate babies have a hard time suckling.

Here's a good shot of Joaquin's lip.