« Home | We're not on the same page. » | drinksy shoesy lazy » | little missainnocent sugar me » | milk it for all it's worth » | Try to keep up. » | holy mackerel » | You need a puppy. » | doppelganger » | keep 'em away from me » | all we need is time »

Tattoo Your Vaccinated Ass


I've been in a chemistry haze - and not the fun kind. I decided at the last second to sign up for general chem II, in case I don't get into my 1st choice grad program and need to apply somewhere else. So with that plus biochem, I'm back on the sugar-and-caffeine speedballs.

Oh, and cable. I have cable again for the 1st time in 3 years. Nothing exciting, just basic cable (why, oh why isn't the BBC on basic cable?) but I'm in the midst of that honeymoon period. So far I love Project Runway and Ten Years Younger, and the American hosts of What Not to Wear are still super grating compared to Trinny and Susannah, but somehow I've softened up on them.

Two things from the idiot box to blog about this week:

First, Miami Ink. This young mom came into the tattoo shop to get a memorial tattoo of her two year old son who had died. It was the sentimental segment of the show, aligned as it was between idiot girls who want the bottom of their big toes tattooed and a totally rad Japanese tiger some dude was getting. Anyway, the schmaltzy music, the angel tattoo for the dead toddler...I'm feelin' it, I'm tearing up, and then, she mentions that the kid died of whooping cough.

Whooping cough. In other words, Bordatella pertussis. *Almost* 100% preventable -- if you had your kid vaccinated.

I will say, dying at 2, he's on the young side and so more vulnerable, even if he'd recieved his initial course of vaccines on time. But he still should have had 3-4 dip-tet vaccines by then. Then you get a whole bunch of boosters when you hit preschool/kindergarten/1st grade or so.

So yeah, it's important not only to get your kids vaccinated, but also don't delay about it. Herd Immunity is not what it was, with these misguided people not vaccinating their poor kids. (Just so we're clear -- these non-vaccinators are relying on those of us who DO vaccinate to keep their kids healthy, while at the same time upping the odds of a massive epidemic AND making the bugs much, much stronger. Thanks, dickheads!)

Second, AT&T ad. At least I think it was AT&T. The shot was of a couple in bed at night, dead asleep. The phone rings, the guy answers it. He says something to whoever's on the phone, to the effect of "hello?...oh my god...oh no...are you sure it's him?" totally gravely. His wife is in the background asking, "what's happened, what's wrong?" The guy doesn't answer her, but jumps out of bed and runs to the computer to see...that some football player has been injured and is out for Sunday.

Way to play on everyone's absolute worst fears. I saw this last night, mind you, the same night all the 9/11 memorials are running on TV. If I heard that half of a phone conversation in the middle of the night, my adrenaline would be so jacked I couldn't sleep or would have plane/car crash nightmares. And I'd probably throw a fit at my insensitive cad of a husband.

And on that note, I think we can safely call the cable honeymoon officially over. It's back to the digital tit for me!