« Home | will this be on the test? » | fortress of somnolence » | so over Ali G » | Tattoo Your Vaccinated Ass » | We're not on the same page. » | drinksy shoesy lazy » | little missainnocent sugar me » | milk it for all it's worth » | Try to keep up. » | holy mackerel »

would it kill you to call your mother?

Sometimes you think Jewish mothers are a stereotype, which of course they are, but my roommate's mom is visiting for the high holidays and hooboy. So far she's offered me a fresh corned beef sandwich -- she flew in from Boston but knows the best Jewish deli in SF *and* has already been there and back by 11 a.m. She went out for coffee this morning and got the name and number of the 38-yr old guy sitting next to her. You know, in case Marci or I were interested. And I just overheard her on the phone telling someone about how the ice in the bag of fish she brought in her purse on the plane leaked.

My mom did once smuggle fancy geranium seeds in her bra on the plane back from Germany.

Philip Roth's mom had it right -- when asked about her feelings re. the depiction of a Jewish mother on "Portnoy's Complaint," she responded "all mothers are Jewish mothers."